Saturday, September 17, 2011

Best Homemade Refried Beans Ever!

I got this recipe for homemade refried beans at a recent Enrichment, I mean Relief Society Meeting meeting, courtesy of realmomkitchen.com.  It is AMAZING!  One try and you will never go back to boring ol' refried mush from a can.  Once you make them, you can use them in burritos, tacos, salads, or whatever you use refried beans with.  Here is the recipe:

3 cups dry pinto beans (rinsed)
1 onion, diced
9 cups of water
5 teaspoons salt (I used less - because you can always add more)
1 3/4 teaspoon pepper
2 T minced garlic (I used about 1 - it's totally up to you)
1/8 teaspoon cumin

Put all ingredients in a crockpot and cook on high for about 8 hours.  After they are done, drain all of the liquid out, saving the liquid!  Mash beans with a potato masher (I put mine in the blender because my beans were a little old) or whatever you mash with.  Add liquid, a bit at a time, to desired consistency.  Makes about 6 cups.  Freezes well.  Love 'em!

3 comments:

  1. I will have to try that -- do you *have* to use pinto beans? (I've got a ton of beans, just no pinto)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura,

      I didn't even realize you had replied to the post! I don't know how I missed it. I am so sorry. I am sure you could use any beans, but I think Pinto are the very best. Hope you have been able to try them and hope you are doing well and that your blog is as successful as ever!

      Delete
  2. Howdy I am so grateful I found your site, I really found you by accident, while I was researching
    on Digg for something else, Anyways I am here now and would just like to say thanks a lot for a fantastic post and a all round
    thrilling blog (I also love the theme/design), I
    don't have time to look over it all at the moment but I have bookmarked it and also added your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a great deal more, Please do keep up the superb job.

    My blog :: electrostatic eliminator

    ReplyDelete